We at Evergreen SGV believe...
- The Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, to be the inspired Word of God, without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of people, and the Divine and final authority for all Christian faith and life. (2 Timothy 3:16-17) For purposes of Evergreen SGV’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, the pastoral staff and church board are the church’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.
- There is one true God, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Genesis 1:1; Colossians 2:9)
- Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man, having been conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He is now our High Priest and Advocate. (1 Corinthians 15:3-4; 1 John 2:1; Luke 1:35)
- The ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and, during this age, to regenerate the sinner, convict people of sin, indwell, guide, instruct and empower the believer for godly living and service. (John 15:26; John 16:7-14)
- Human beings are created by God in His image. Thus human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through death. We are, therefore, called to defend, protect, and value all human life. (Psalm 139)
- God wonderfully and immutably created each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders were created together to reflect the image and nature of God. Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person. (Genesis 1:26-27)
- The term “marriage” has only one meaning and that is marriage sanctioned by God, who joins one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union as delineated in Scripture. God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. God has commanded that no sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
- Humanity, having been created male and female in the image of God, fell into sin and is, therefore, lost. Only through regeneration by the Holy Spirit can salvation and spiritual life be obtained. (Genesis 1:27; Romans 3:23; John 3:3)
- The shed blood of Jesus Christ and His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who believe, and only those who receive Jesus Christ are born of the Holy Spirit, and so become believers. (Hebrews 9:22; Romans 5:1; John 3:16)
- The Lord’s Supper and Water Baptism by immersion are ordinances to be observed by the Church during this present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as means of salvation. (Matthew 28:19-20; 1 Corinthians 11:23-26)
- The personal and imminent return of our Lord Jesus Christ is our “blessed hope” and has a vital bearing on the personal life and service of the believer. (1 Thessalonians 4:14-16; Acts 1:11; 1 John 3:1-3)
- The true Church is composed of all such persons who, through saving faith in Jesus Christ, have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the body of Christ, of which He is the head. (Ephesians 4:1-6; 1 Corinthians 12:13)
- Only those who are thus members of the true and invisible church shall be eligible for membership in the local church. (Acts 2:47)
- Jesus Christ is the Lord and Head of the Church and every local church has the right, under Christ, to decide and govern its own affairs. (Ephesians 1:22; Colossians 1:18) In order to preserve the function and integrity of the church as the local Body of Christ and to provide a biblical role model to the church members and the community, all persons employed by the church in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, should affirm and abide by this Statement of Faith and conduct themselves accordingly.
- All humanity will be bodily raised from the dead: the believer to everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord and the unbeliever to judgment and everlasting conscious punishment. (2 Corinthians 5:10; Revelation 20:15; 2 Thessalonians 1:7-9)